All I can say is…it’s still Wednesday, at least in my part of the world and at least it was Wednesday when I started to wright the post and when I ate this delicious sandwich…so it’s still a Wednesday Sandwich, right?
What can I say, it started yesterday afternoon (that was Tuesday) with paella and then one thing let to another and my Wednesday sandwich came in Thursday…c’est la vie!
Inspiration? In that time when I was a little picky eater, every time when we had some fried chicken leftovers I enjoyed eating it with mayo and pickles. So this is a sandwich version of my favorite leftover.
- 2 chicken thighs, skinless
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup dill pickles, finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, grilled, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno, grilled, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 diner rolls
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 handful arugula
- First make your relish. Bring vinegar, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds to a boil in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Cook until reduced by half and slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- For fried chicken heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Season chicken with salt and pepper, coat with flour then with beaten egg and at the end toss it in Panko. Place it in the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Now assemble your sandwich. Put 1 tbsp mayo on the bottom, place the arugula on mayo, then your delicious fried chicken and top it generously with pickle relish.
WEAR. EAT. LOVE. by Adriana